Saturday 28 March 2015

Dehydrated celery reviews


Dehydrating celery


Dehydrated celery is something that I never thought I’d have to have in my house. But, do you know how convenient it is to have a jar full when one of your kids gets sick and asks for soup? I almost always keep a whole chicken in the freezer for this purpose as well. And well, I always have onions and garlic in the house because I can’t cook anything with out them. Really. Celery though, that isn’t always in the house.
When I get a good price on celery, I buy a lot. Buying it right off the farm during the end of the season is awesome though. I know it’s locally grown and ripened in the field!
Drying celery is easy. Chop off the bottom of the stalks and give them a good soak in the sink. Celery likes to hid dirt in the bottom of the stalk.

Then you want to cut them into small pieces. This is a bit tedious but it really doesn’t take that long. You want to try and get them to be about the same size so they all dry at the same time.
The next step is to line the pieces on the screen of your dehydrator. You don’t want to over lap them because it will making drying time longer.

Make the job easy on yourself and find a toddler to do this part. They love to help, line things up and boring and tedious doesn’t seem to bother them. Just make sure they don’t take a bite and then put it on the screen. (Laugh, I’m sure your toddler has never done that!!)

After that, just set the dehydrator to about 125 degrees. I like to let mine go over night. And the timing just depends on how thick you cut you pieces of celery.

I have found about five good sized bunches of celery make about a pint jar full of celery.
So, this turns into…..

Dehyrating Celery 

This!

Dehydrating Celery 

It always amazes me how small they get!

And now, with a jar full of dried celery, you can throw them into soups, stews and roasts!
Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

25 Best Recipes



Popular Articles

Sedona vs Excalibur